Wednesday, October 16, 2013

an update, please read

I was back home again in Indiana last weekend. What a perfect time to visit, too, with all the leaves changing and the weather was absolutely gorgeous. I went primarily to do an interview with Eric Bernsee at the Banner Graphic about the book. I also visited with former coworkers at DePauw, got to see a long lost friend from high school at South Putnam, hung out with my bestie Chris (the inspiration for Jennifer) and attended church at Greencastle Christian where I used to be every Sunday morning when I lived in Greencastle.

Of course, I talked up the book as much as I could. Many people said they read it and loved it or they had downloaded it and wanted to start reading it or that they had it on their list to buy. That was wonderful to hear! I knew that in order for this book to be a success, I'd have to have the support of my family, friends and the people of my beloved hometown.

That said, sales have been sluggish in the last two weeks. Some of the people I thought would be my biggest advocates haven't even read the book, let alone written a review. I have only received 11 reviews to date as a matter of fact. I know it's only three weeks in since publication but I have to confess that I'm a little disappointed by the sales and reviews. I just keep thinking that there are 10,000 people in my hometown and even more in Putnam County, many of whom I'd think would be interested in reading a novel set where they live, but I've not even sold 1% of that yet.

Yet.

I hope that people are just slow to get around to reading it. I'd like to think that despite it being "chick lit" there's something in it for everyone. And I'd like to think that at $4.99 it's worth helping a fellow Hoosier out toward making her dreams of becoming a successful writer a reality. I know not everyone has an e-reader, but there are other options such as the Kindle App, the Kindle Cloud Reader and downloading a pdf from Smashwords that can be printed out. I need help with sales, reviews, and just plain getting the word out. I know I can't do it by myself. I'm hoping my article in the Banner will give sales a big boost!

Thank you to everyone who has helped so far! I can't tell you how much your support has meant to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment